Summer Programme at UC Berkeley – residential programme offered by the Academic Talent Development Program (ATDP)
Established in 1868, UC Berkeley is the oldest and most renowned campus in the University of California system, and is frequently ranked as the top public university in the world. UC Berkeley counts over 72 Nobel Prizes awarded to its faculty, alumni and researchers. Located in the broader Silicon Valley and San Francisco Bay Area, UC Berkeley represents diverse cultures and major global intellect and is also a focus of VC funding. It is the school of choice for bright scholars and international students.
Administrated by the Graduate School of Education since 1982, ATDP of UC Berkeley offers challenging summer classes to motivated young scholars of Grade 7 to 10, middle to high school students, and functions as a college preparation program. ATDP is officially integrated in the University of California online college application platform, and students’ attending records are recognized as their additional academic history. ATDP embraces social development as a complement to traditional academic learning by incorporating community service and outreach project in its Global Program in order to inculcate global awareness and environmental consciousness in students.
Secondary Division and Elementary Division of ATDP are the local commuting programs without residential support, while Global Program is the residential program wrapped around the Secondary Division curriculum with community service, outreach project, college counselling, enrichment programs, weekday/weekend activities, and all necessary residential services. Global Program is offered by ATDP’s residential partner, CFM Educational Services.
Please note that the ASSET Talent Search team is not directly involved with the admission process for this program. You must contact BerkeleyATDP@cfmedu.com for any queries.
Important Dates :
- Program Arrival & Departure: Jul 13 & Aug 10
- Admissions will be released in stages: Jan 31, Feb 28, Mar 31
- Application to Admission Cycle: 2 weeks, from completion of application requirements to admission release
- Students entering class 7 to students entering class 10
- 80th percentile – Qualified with Priority Acceptance
- 50th – 80th percentile – Provisionally Qualified
- Students with scores just below the minimum requirement may still apply with an Admission Portfolio application that includes:
- ASSET Talent Search Percentile Scores
- Transcript (a scanned copy of the student’s annual report cards may be submitted as transcript)
- Resume (include extracurricular activities, honours and awards)
Please contact BerkeleyATDP@cfmedu.com for detail program brochure, course description, residential information, program fee, and the online application portal.
Courses & Activities:
The program curriculum consists four academic tracks to choose from. Students apply for admission to only one of the tracks and need to take both courses associated with the admitted track throughout the program:
- Social Studies:
- Social Psychology
- American Culture and Society
- Business Track:
- Business, Finance, and US Economy
- The Practice of Law
- Science Track:
- Advanced Biotechnology
- Advanced Chemistry
- Technology Track:
- Advanced Robotics Engineering
- Exploring Data Science
Social Development is an essential part of ATDP Global Program and normally arranged in the weekday afternoons, which includes two components:
- Community service : Each student is assigned to volunteer at one of the usually three to four non-profit organizations around the city of Berkeley.
- Outreach project: Each student is assigned to work on counsellor-led Fundraising initiatives or one of many Environmental Research projects.
Of course, students will have a lot of fun participating in a wide variety of events, activities and excursions in the evenings and weekends to experience the charming California outdoors, sunshine, as well as college living in Berkeley:
- Counsellor-guided study
- College counselling and College Application Workshop
- Outreach Project Showcase
- Silicon Valley tech company visit
- ATDP Prom
- ATDP Talent Show
- Whitewater River Rafting
- Symphony, concert, musical, or performing arts
- Six Flag Discovery Kingdom
- San Francisco city tour
- Santa Cruz Boardwalk, beach, and fisherman’s wharf
- Berkeley marina, gardens, hiking, night walk, shopping, etc.
Program Fees & Scholarship:
The program fee is comprehensive for the entire four weeks or 29 days, from SFO airport arrival to departure, excluding the class-dependent textbooks and/or materials.
The residential program in 2024 will offer two levels of merit-based scholarship to certain ASSET Talent Search students with qualified scores.